An unusual social library opened in Omsk. Book tents with newspapers, magazines, and books for children and adults were placed in the city centre. The reading rooms are right there in the open air, and you can take a book you like away for free.
The equipment of the library is simple: plastic tables, tents and park benches. Everything is like in an ordinary reading room: books, magazines, newspapers, and a special bonus – light breeze. You can join the library in the open air easily: no need for ID.
- I’ll put your name down in you reader’s card. Here’s our library: reading room, Pobedy avenue, 4. This will be your pass for one occasion.
The reading room in the open air is almost like an ordinary one, and even better, for you can not only enhance your knowledge, but also enlarge your home library.
The park benc, turned into an improvised stand, is the main difference between this library and a stationary one. Here you can find books to fit any taste: here is world science fiction, there – horrors, and this seems like historical literature. But, most important, you can take any book home – no need to return them. It is Omsk citizens who bring books here for other citizens, in hope that they will follow their example. And – curious fact – there are always books on the stand.
People living in nearby houses praise the library more than others, as they have double advantage: when the library opened, the park became tidy.
May 27 is All-Russian Library Day. This holiday was established by Presidential Decree of July 27, 1995 and was timed to a significant date: on this day in 1795 the first public library opened in Russia. Now it is called the Russian National Library and is among the largest libraries of the world.
Russian National Library is one of the first public libraries in Eastern Europe. It is situated in St. Petersburg. Russian National Library is among the greatest treasuries of historical and cultural heritage of our country. It holds the fullest collection of editions in Russian, and it also has collections of books on the leading branches of science and technology in various languages. The library traditionally pays special attention to acquisition of documents devoted to Russia and published outside the country in the languages of peoples living on the territory of Russia.
Russian National Library started as Imperial Public Library founded on May 16 (27) 1795 by Empress Catherine II’s Decree. The building was designed by the architect Egor Sokolov. The library was planned not only as a book repository, but also as a generally accessible “source of public enlightenment”. It was decided to collect all books published in Russia, all books published abroad in the Russian language, and books on Russia in foreign languages. Empress Catherine II personally supervised the building of the library and participated in book acquisition for its stock.
Imperial Public Library opened on January 2 (14), 1814. It was accessible for all regardless of their social position.
In 1917 the library was renamed as the Russian National Library. In 1932 it was dedicated to M.E. Saltykov-Shedrin.
During the Great Patriotic war, in the hardest days of the seige of Leningrad the library did not close down. At the cost of great endeavours, lacking fuel and electricity, the librarians saved the precious stocks.
In February 1973 the Council of Ministers of the USSR adopted the act “On the building of a new book repository with reading rooms for M.E. Saltykov-Shedrin State Public Library”.
On March 27, 1992 the President of the Russian Federation issued a decree “On the Russian National Library”. Now this role was officially placed on Saint Petersburg Public Library, and its special place in the national historical and cultural heritage was confirmed.
At present, the Russian National Library is one of the largest libraries in the world. It holds over 33 million books and other forms of documents, serves about 1.5 million readers annually, and lends almost 14 million books and other documents.
The daughter of the French writer Henri Troyat donated to Russia her father’s collection of Russian books and his archive.
At the official ceremony in the Russian Centre for Science and Culture in Paris Michelle Troyat announced that her decision was well-motivated, as the writer “was Russian by birth, and devoted equal parts of his life to France and Russia”.
Henri Troyat’s library, donated to Russia, includes many books on Russian history, a manuscript of Nikolay Gogol’s biography, Ivan Bunin’s letter, as well as an unpublished writer’s work “Nine Russian Mothers”, describing the lives of great Russian classical authors.
Henri Troyat (true name Lev Aslanovich Tarasov) wrote over a hundred historical and fiction books, many of which are devoted to research in the field of Russian history. Troyat was the winner of many literary awards, including the most prestigious in France Prix Goncourt, which he received at the age of 27.
All-Russian Library Congress – the 14th Annual Conference of the Russian Library Association – started in Vologda, Russia, on May 17. This is the largest forum for Russian library specialists, both because of the number of participants (over 700 registered ones) and the wide scope of discussed topics of modern library science.
Alexander Avdeev, Minister of Culture of the Russian Federation, will be the guest of honour at the congress.
The theme of the congress is “Russian libraries in the knowledge society: dynamics of integration.” The program includes opening of the 10th exhibition of printed output, new information technologies, products and services. Pageant events devoted to the 90th anniversary of the foundation of I.V. Babushkin Universal Research Library, the main library of the region, will be the peculiarity of the 14th Annual Conference of the Russian Library Association.
On April 24, 2009 a long list for Big Book literary award was made public. It contained 48 texts: novels, collected short stories, biographies, memoirs, and travel notes. Short list for the award will be published in May 2009, and the names of the three prize-winners will be known in November. The winner of the first prize will get 3 million roubles, the holder of the second prize – 1.5 million, and of the third prize – 1 million.
Among the authors nominated for Big Book awards there are: Vladimir Sorokin (for two stories: “Oprichnik’s Day” and “Sugar Kremlin”), two Big Book prize-winners of the last years – Dmitry Bykov (for his biography of Bulat Okudjava) and Alexey Varlamov (for his biography of Mikhail Bulgakov), film director Sergey Soloviev (for “‘Assa’ and other works by this author” memoirs), Booker prize-winner Olga Slavnikova (for “Love in the Seventh Carriage”). Andrey Volos, Big Book-2007 nominee, is in the long list again in 2009, this time for his novel “The Winner”.
The Big Book long list also includes books that were in the long and short lists for “National Bestseller-2009” awards: “Cranes and Dwarfs” by Leonid Juzefovich, “Secret Life of Saint Petersburg Monuments” by Sergey Nosov, “Steppe Gods” by Andrey Gelasimov, “Oil Venus” by Alexander Snegirev. In the Big Book long list there are also works by Junna Morits (“Short Stories about the Wonderful”), Yury Arabov (“Miracle”), Sergey Yursky (“All Included”), Maina Moskvina (“Moskvina Radio”), Leonid Zorin (“Nasty Globe”), Lena Eltang (“Stone Maples”).
Bookselling zones will be established on pedestrian bridges across the Moskva in Moscow – Andreevsky bridge and Bogdan Khmelnitsky bridge. “It is decided to organize bookselling zones with retail chain stores selling printed matter and souvenirs on continuing basis on Andreevsky and Bogdan Khmelnitsky bridges and nearby territories, in order to raise the Moskovites’ interest in reading and to improve the provision of books and other printed matter,” noted an employee of the Moscow City Hall.
“Temporary objects, such as bookstalls, pavillions, non-stationary objects will be put within the zones. The organization of these zones is under way within the framework of the development of “Neskuchny Sad – Moskva-City” tourist route,” the clerk specified. He said that one would be able to buy traditional printed matter, as well as books in the electronic form, works of fine arts, and souvenirs there. “‘Gormost’ (City Bridge enterprise), the Department of Moscow consumer market, and the prefectures of the Central and Western administrative districts will design and agree upon the schemes of placing the retail chain stores in these new bookselling zones in the second quarter of this year,” he added.
Source: RIA Novosti
At 11:00 on April 21 Sergey Mironov, Chairman, the Council of Federation, will take part in the International Scientific and Practical Conference “Rumiantsevskiye Chteniya-2009” (Rumiantsev Lectures-2009), which will take place in the Russian State Library.
According to the press-service of the Council of Federation, the theme of the conference is “Historical and cultural traditions and innovative changes in Russia. The responsibility of libraries for enlightenment”. Russian State Library is the organizer of the conference, the purpose of which is to attract attention of humanities specialists to the necessary satisfaction of the society’s urgent demand for keeping the nation’s historical memory, cultural traditions, spiritual and moral values.
In the course of “Rumiantsevskiye Chteniya” they plan to discuss issues connected with new information and communication possibilities of sociocultural institutions: the possibilities to provide knowledge of the country’s culture and history, to preserve cultural heritage, to raise and enlighten people. In particular, the participants of the conference will discuss the role of libraries, museums, and archives in the system of national values, the priorities of book culture development in Russia, innovative transformations in Russian librairies.
The conference will last till April 23. Its program includes plenary meeting, sessions, round tables, as well as the presentation of book projects and a book fair.
Employees of libraries, museums, archives, social institutions, publishing houses, local authorities, and research institutes will take part in the conference. Among them: Mikhail Shvydkoy, the Russian President’s special envoy on international cultiral cooperation, President, Russian Academy of Television; Elena Drapeco, First Deputy Chairman, Committee on Culture of the State Duma; Valery Ganichev, Chairman of the Board of the Union of Russian writers; Kirill Razlogov, Director, Russian Institute of Culturology.
“Almost quarter of all books aquired by Moscow libraries is electronic,” announced Sergey Khudyakov, Head, Moscow Department of Culture. On April 14, at the meeting of the Moscow Government he said: “Libraries have the right to aquire both printed books and books in the electronic form. At present electronic books constitute 20-25% of all aquired dcuments.”
According to Khudyakov, stocks of Moscow libraries, including over 200 million copies, are now being digitalized. In Moscow there are about 2.5 thousand libraries.
“Digitalization is under way, we assign money for it. A library can decide itself, which part of its stock will be digitalized. In average, libraries digitalize about 3% of their stocks,” Khudyakov specified. He added that part of the digitalization process is carried out to form a unified city catalog of library stocks, and not the whole book, but only its imprint is digitalized.
The restoration of the historical building of the Russian State Library – the famous Pashkov’s House – is finished at last. The restoration has lasted for more than 20 years. The opening ceremony will take place on April 20, and on the next day Pashkov’s House will open to the public.
The restoration of this unique architectural landmark of the 18th century was completed two years ago, but they finished transfering library stocks to this building not long ago.
In Pashkov’s House, there will be the Department of Manuscripts, containing 600 thousand written and graphic works dating from the 6th century, and the Department of Musical Editions and Sound Recordings, containing over 360 thousand units.
The historical building of the Russian State Library was closed for restoration purposes in 1988, but soon after the works were started the funding was stopped, so the restoration had to be postponed. It was restarted only in 2003. Exterior and interior of the building were restored according to photographs and old drafts.
Pashkov’s House was called so after its building owner and first owner Petr Pashkov, captain-lieutenant of the Semenovsky regiment of the Life Guards, and the son of Peter I’s batman.
The mansion was built in the mid-18th century by the architect Vasily Bazhenov. In 1812 it burnt down, but was restored under the direction of the architect Boveu. In 1861 Rumyantsev museum and Public library were housed there.